Lourdes Health System

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Thinking Out of the Box


I've kind of boxed myself in with taking such a narrow angle on this blog--wanting to write exclusively about the blog and our "journey." It is kind of giving me writer's block--mainly because I've been neglecting the blog myself and haven't had time to rally the troops (the other bloggers) or go out and get additional ones. Dr. Miller suggested we get together again, especially since we had such a successful initial meeting, and also because it will help us to form a bit of a writer's group. But events (and in marketing it is literally events) have gotten in the way. We had a well attended heart month event with Dr. Mimi Guarneri from Scripps at the Enterprise Center on February 6 and just yesterday, our Health Careers Day at the Moorestown Mall. Among the activities we offered--besides an up close view of our Da Vinci robot--was a chance for kids to play dress up as doctors and nurses. Check out Josh's little girl, at right.

It also didn't help my schedule that I chose this time to enter Yoga Teacher Training at the Lourdes Institute of Wholistic Studies, but I credit my time taking those classes with keeping my cool. Plus, there is nothing like immersing yourself in another part of an organization to see things from a whole new perspective--and to learn things you didn't know. For instance, I found out we provide yoga therapy to cardiac patients. That is pretty cool.

And the other thing that we all do, which takes time since I'm not stationed at the hosptial, is patient rounding. I can imagine this is not everyone's cup of tea, and some days I'm not up for it, but I am committed to it. Patient rounding is when associates go visit patients. (We have assigned rooms.) We do this as a check on our customer service and patient care, and to try to bridge some gaps that may occur. Even when I'm not feeling up for it, I always find it to be interesting, and often I meet great people. Usually people are quite happy with the service; sometimes they aren't, or just need some help but a particular issue or concern. Sometimes they just need to talk. I had a nice conversation with a man the other day about our mutual dislike for "Mcmansions" and the over-development of land. The other week I met with a man who did not speak English. The enviornmental services associate. Carmen, translated for me and we could tell something was up. He said the care was fine but that he was feeling a 'little down." I asked if he would want a visit from pastoral care and he said he would. Turned out they had visited him earlier but had not realized he had been transferred to a different floor.

So, always lots to do, but just like patient rounding, we are committed to the blog. For now, at least, it will just evolve a bit slower than we would like.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too have been rounding with patients. As a non-clinical associate, it can be very intimidating to approach patients -- especially when I perceive they are looking to "me" to help them medically. It seems like what I can offer -- my interest, a few kind words -- are hollow when someone is in "hospital-sized" discomfort. However, it's not always like that. My favorite visit was with a fellow in our emergency department. He was a relatively young man who had a history of heart trouble. He was very uncomfortable and suspected he might be having a heart attack. He confided that he was sad. He was so because he left his home that morning for work and he didn't leave on good terms with his wife. He was also very worried about his 8-year old daughter. I asked if he had a chance to talk with his wife since coming to the hospital and he said that he had -- on his cell phone. His wife was trying to be excused from her job to come to him. I asked him if he might like to write to his wife and his daughter and he said "yes." I was able to bring him "love cards" for his wife and daughter. He wrote quick notes for each and I placed them with his personal belongings. He seemed to take comfort and relax ever so slightly. He knew that if something happened before his wife arrived, he'd have left them mementos of his love. Sometimes, just a little understanding can go a long way.